Chocolate Cup Cakes decorated with liquorice legs, great for Halloween!
100g plain chocolate 4tbsp golden syrup
150g unsalted butter, softened 80ml double cream
150g caster sugar 100g milk chocolate
20g cocoa, sifted 100g plain chocolate
3 eggs, beaten 3 tbsp Rachel’s Greek Style Natural Bio Live Yogurt
125g self raising flour
1 ½tsp baking powder
2 tbsp Rachel’s Greek Style Natural Bio Live Yogurt
Chocolate sugar strands
Smarties or similar sweets (for the eyes)
Liquorice laces or Catherine wheels
1. Pre-heat the oven 180°C, gas mark 4 and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and microwave on medium power for 1 minute until melted, alternatively place over a pan of simmering water.
3. In a mixing bowl beat the butter, caster sugar, cocoa powder and eggs, until soft and creamy. Add the flour and baking powder. Lastly add in the yogurt ensure the mixture is well combined.
4. Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 20 minutes until risen and firm to touch. Leave to cool.
5. Meanwhile in a small bowl gently heat the icing ingredients, except the yogurt either do this in a microwave, medium power or over a pan of simmering water until the chocolate has melted, leave to cool then add the yogurt. The frosting should be soft but not runny.
6. Spoon the frosting onto each cake and carefully spread with the back of a knife. Dip each cake into
chocolate sugar strands then place the Smarties for eyes, cut the liquorice laces into 8 equal pieces and push into the icing – work quickly before the frosting sets. To make the eyes stand out and a mouth simply place some of the frosting in a piping bag with a small plain nozzle and pipe for the desired effect.